Questions to Ask When Shopping for Replacement Windows
12/2/2013 2:51:00 PM
Buying new or replacement windows represents a significant investment in your home, so we at Weather Shield want to make sure that you take all the steps necessary to ensure you are buying the best windows for your home.
Unfortunately, the replacement window market is filled with shoddy manufacturers that make outrageous claims of quality with deceptive warranty policies. To make things worse, there are shoddy contractors out there that do a poor job installing the products you purchase—decreasing the value of your investment.
Before making a final decision, there are several questions you should always ask when shopping for replacement windows. They are:
- What kind of warranty do these windows carry? – you not only want to make sure that your windows carry a warranty, but also that the warranty lasts for an extended period of time. Keep in mind that you want to buy windows from a manufacturer that has a long history of success to ensure that they are likely be around to service your warranty throughout its duration. At Weather Shield, we offer a 20 year warranty on our window and door products and have been in business since 1955, so you can rest assured that we will be here to service your warranty today and 20 years from now.
- What kind of installation warranty do you (the installation company) provide? – window warranties generally do not cover the window installation. Be sure to use a contractor that provides an installation warranty so you are protected in the event that your windows were not installed properly.
- Are you licensed and insured to perform this work in this state? – most states require window replacement contractors to be licensed and insured. If you live in one of these states, it is important that you ask your replacement window contractor to see his license and insurance information. This will protect you in the event that something goes wrong during installation.
- What are your lead times? – if you have strict deadlines that you need to meet, this is an important question to ask. Often, replacement windows are not stocked by window replacement companies, but custom made for each order so you get an exact fit. Inquiring about lead times will help you better plan your project.
- How long have you been in business? – although length of time in business is not always a measure of the quality of a company, companies that have a long history of successful customer service tend to be a safe choice for window replacement. Read the Weather Shield story »
- Do you have a list of references? – any reputable window replacement company should have a list of references that you can call to gauge their performance. We recommend calling both recent and distant customers. Recent customers will give you a good idea of the quality of work current crews are performing while customers that had their windows installed a long time ago will be able to give you a better idea of how their installation has performed over time and if repair work was necessary and timely.
Browse our different lines of high quality replacement windows:
ReReady to Move Forward with New Windows?
If you are looking for a trustworthy replacement window contractor in your area, Weather Shield can help. Our dealer locator will help you find a window replacement contractor in your area and will even let you know if they have a showroom available to view their selection of Weather Shield windows and doors. Alternatively, you can contact us directly and we will recommend a dealer in your area.